How To: Search Content Sources
Part 1 of 3 part SharePoint Search Customization series
SharePoint allows you to index (crawl) different content sources including:
- SharePoint Sites
- Web Sites
- File Shares
- Exchange Public Folders
- BDC content
Want to add a new content source to your search?
To add a new content source to your SharePoint server
- Open the Central Administration of the server and enter the relevant Shared Services.
- Open the Search Settings page and open the “Content sources and crawl schedules” link.
- Click the New Content Source button and enter all relevant data for the source you want to add to your search.
- Press OK.
You now have a new Content Source that will be crawled next time you run a Full or Incremental Crawl for it.
But what if you don't want to crawl all sites under this Content Source?
You can exclude a web address from the crawl using Crawl Rules.
- Enter the Crawl Rules in the “Search Settings” page and add new crawl rule.
- Type in the URL you want to exclude or include from the crawl.
- To check whether or not a URL will be crawled simply, type the URL in the URL text box on the Crawl rules page and click “Test”.
Coming next week:
Part 2 of the SharePoint Search Customization series: "Search Scopes & Contextual Search Scopes" where we will discuss defining different search scopes for your SharePoint search.
KWizCom Professional Services